November 20, 2012
From staff reports
1.In what year was the first Thanksgiving Day celebration held?
2. What American Indian nation shared a feast with the Pilgrims at the first Thanksgiving?
3. In what year did Congress make Thanksgiving an official national holiday to fall on the fourth Thursday of each November?
4. What character has appeared as a giant balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade more times than any other character in history?
a) Winnie the Pooh
b) Mickey Mouse
c) Betty Boop
5. Approximately what percentage of Americans eat turkey at Thanksgiving?
6.Sarah Josepha Hale, an influential magazine editor and author in the mid-nineteenth century, tirelessly campaigned to make Thanksgiving a national holiday for almost 40 years. She was also the author of what classic nursery rhyme?
a) "Mary Had a Little Lamb"
b) "Humpty Dumpty"
c) "Jack and Jill"
d) "Little Bo Peep"
7. What is the top turkey-producing state in America?
a) South Carolina
8. Who suggested the turkey be named the national bird of the United States?
a) Benjamin Franklin
b) Thomas Jefferson
c) Abraham Lincoln
d) Franklin D. Roosevelt
9. The first Thanksgiving is believed to have lasted how long?
a) A few hours
b) One day
c) Three days
d) A full week
10. The tradition of football games played on Thanksgiving Day began with what professional team in 1934?
a) Pittsburgh Steelers
b) Kansas City Chiefs
c) Detroit Lions
d) Chicago Bears
ANSWERS: (1) C; (2) A; (3) B; (4) D; (5) C; (6) A; (7) B; (8) A; (9) C; (10) C.